crw1111_dantonio03.jpg Three new rings of … When doing your routine engine checks before heading out, visually inspect for loose hose clamps, detached water injection hoses, or anything else that looks out of place. or not, or whether you have "dripless" glands Technical Support. I am trying to repack my stuffing box. to do it. Mark has built five boats himself — power and sail – has been an experienced editor at other top boating magazines, worked for the BBC, has written four DIY books, skippered two round-the-world yachts, and holds the Guinness World Record for the fastest there-and-back crossing of the English Channel, in a kayak! 1 - 5 of 5 Posts. Simply cut a piece of wire that is roughly the same length as the stuffing box depth, and then bend a short 90 deg "L" at one end. Wear, Instrument Panels. A marine surveyor, and holder of RYA Yachtmaster Ocean certification, BoatUS Magazine Associate Editor Mark Corke handles the magazine’s very popular Practical Boater section, keeping it full of easy-to-follow how-to articles. brucegorle. In fact, with access to an infrared pyrometer, drip rates are much less important than they once were. If a stuffing box is leaking excessively or drips when the boat is at rest, adjustment is necessary. Request a Quote. Subscription to the print version of BoatUS Magazine, 4% back on purchases from West Marine stores or online at WestMarine.com, Discounts on fuel, transient slips, repairs and more at over 1,200 businesses, Deals on cruises, charters, car rentals, hotel stays and more…. stuffing box had literally destroyed the generator. is an all too common happening. I took the difference and devided by 2. of the Easiest Aspects of Boat Maintenance Pays High Well-known examples are the PSS shaft seal from PYI and the LasDrop from Nautical Specialties, which also makes lip seals. While packing material is traditionally made of flax, recently it's being made out of other materials. realize that your propeller shafts are throwing water Well, it looks like I have to repack the rudder stuffing box on my E35-3. More How To. New Charter Vacation Routines. All totaled, we estimated that this seemingly 8. likely resulting damage rusted shaft/transmission (Have not had the boat in the water yet) Does anyone know what size packing it takes? Continue with Facebook. Harbor Freight has a very inexpensive set of picks that will make this job easy. the point where the shaft extends into the gland opening. Carefully inspect the shaft for damage and scoring, and clean thoroughly with a rag. Subscribe for more tutorial videos! When a shaft is rotating very fast, it can be creating The purpose of this bushing is to prevent packing from extruding through the bottom of the stuffing box. These two surfaces, where the shaft and packing meet, tend to polish each other and if over tightened can lead to pre-mature shaft wear or excessive heat. Stuffing box 05-23-2015, 04:58 PM. ARC 2020 is Underway. Since when? For the middle (2nd) ring I put in SynTef Teflon "Putty" which I got at West Marine. The It's very important to NOT overtighten this piece! This method may be threaded rods fitted with nuts as shown in the following photographs or a threaded locking nut that screws over the stuffing box body and rests tightly over the compression sleeve. In fact, it may not be dripping at all while the boat is at rest, so that the owner may be misled by this fact into thinking that there is no problem. was drawing to a close. David Pascoe is a second generation marine surveyor On November 23rd, 2018, David Pascoe has passed away at age 71. SailNet Community. Repacking the stuffing box while the boat is on the hard seems to be less stressful for some folks and you might want to consider doing that if you are considering repacking. 104 1. How long should I run it before I should start to see the drips? The cooler your stuffing box runs, the longer shaft life you'll have. I am trying to repack my stuffing box and I am not sure how to do it. worth of damage. (Some stuffing boxes with packing will not have water injection.) 170 shamrock is leaking into the bilge I tightened some and still have a leak should I have do it when the shaft is turning? a huge amount of labor plus the costs of new couplings. SBC Type X Single. Post by ed c. » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:33 pm I have been working on shafts since 1948 and there is only 1 way to take out the old material. Here's an illustrated step-by-step to help you do it right. It is used to prevent leakage of fluid, such as water or steam, between sliding or turning parts of machine elements Components. 5,000 pre purchase surveys in addition to having conducted There are two basic types of stuffing boxes commonly in use, although there are other alternatives, some of which we discuss below. Any tricks to getting this nut loose? I've always called it a stuffing box, now there is one more thing I have to adapt to . What manufacturer is recommeded? it is not visible. If possible, get a crew member to call for help on the radio while you do what you can to stem the flow. box, but a failure to fit the guards correctly so Ratigan. 7. [See photos: SailNet Community - jameswilson29's Album: Winter repairs: replace stuffing box hose ] I removed the bolts from the coupling so there is a space now between the two plates. Any entrapped air, with normal temps this high, can cause a big spike in box temp. easily preventable, that no boat owner should fail of Marine Surveyors in 1972, he has conducted over costly damage so quickly than a propeller shaft stuffing Learn More. no longer come apart and have to be cut. So, it looks like I need to replace the packing material inside my stuffing box. The water that comes in while adding that ring is disconcerting but manageable—especially if you know what to expect after repacking the stuffing box at least once in the boatyard. Keep in mind this did not happen instantaneously and took about 60 hours of run time to accumulate enough Syntef/Clay gunk to clog our stuffing box. I used 5/16" Teflon Impregnated Flax for the 1st and 3rd ring. In this video I show how to maintain a traditional Stuffing Box/Shaft Seal Maintain this gland around the prop shaft to keep leaks at bay. An effective splash Another is commonly called a face seal, where a special carbon ring is pressed under tension against a stainless-steel ring clamped to the shaft. Cracks,Finishes and Surface Defects, Basic Considerations for First-time Buyers, Stress Cracks, Finishes and Surface Defects. Certified by the National Association Technical Support. Parts cataloges sell it in different sizes. Is "stuffing box" now deemed not PC? I'm having the boat pulled this week for a bottom paint and I want to repack the stuffing box while I'm at it. When it is out I want to repack the stuffing box as I have no idea how long it has been since it was last done. up saving you thousands of dollars in unwanted damage. I'm having the boat pulled this week for a bottom paint and I want to repack the stuffing box while I'm at it. Remove all of the old packing using a pick or a packing-removal tool; it looks a bit like a corkscrew. As a general rule, shafts up to about 11/2 inches require quarter-inch packing. Over forty years of knowledge and experience in his family who began his surveying career at age The carbon ring is placed under tension by the rubber bellows against the stainless-steel ring, which is clamped to the shaft. We use cookies to enhance your visit to our website and to improve your experience. From "Hands-On Sailor" in our January 2008 issue. https://bit.ly/2K2hBri Tutorial for how a sailboat shaft packing gland works, how to open it and how to repack it. This was my first attempt at re-packing a stuffing box, so I assume that I mucked something up. reducing their life span. Charter Provisioning in the Covid-19 Era. The packing gland helps to hold the packing inside the stuffing box. DIY Stuffing Box Maintenance Saves Dollars and Makes Sense. So fine that There should be no dripping when the boat is at rest and the shaft is not spinning. Don’t adjust the stuffing box while running the engine in gear! This will often come out in complete rings, but sometimes if the packing has been in place for a long time, it may disintegrate. To do this, loosen the locknut (depending on type, this may be the nut threaded around the body or lock washers on the bolts), tighten the adjustment sleeve a little, then retighten the locknut. electrical connections were corroded and caused equipment I know that bronze shafts can really get rough where they are exposed but if you re-pack with this shaft, be sure to clean the shaft as best you can before contaminating the new packing as it goes in. I was getting a few drips on the bottom side of the jam nut, but that stopped by the time I got back to the slip. 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post: Drewboy Sep 10, 2008. Join the discussion. The Stuffing Box.. Is a 1985! Reply. It seems that I see this question posted once a week on various forums. Stuffing Boxes, Maintenance, Without it, the seal will have a very short life and fail. hundreds of boating accident investigations, including A stuffing box, also called a packing gland, doesn't have to leak much. If the packing were to run dry by being overtightened, this twisting motion increases significantly, stressing the hose. It is a double lip seal and probably has a contact area different from where the packing gland sits. Speaking of packing, you didn't mention what type you … After you make any adjustments, monitor the stuffing box to ensure all is well; at no point should a packing box get too hot to touch. The shaft sleeve is a hollow metal tube that protects the shaft from packing wear. Many prefer to lock the shaft or to keep the motor ticking over to avoid the possibility of overheating. give you an idea of just how costly the failure to I have my boat on the hard for the winter, and sometime before re-launching I intend to repack the stuffing box (I've owned her for three years and have no idea how long it has been since repacking). Perhaps the most common type consists of a stuffing box body attached to a special heavy-duty hose (attached to the shaft gland), a compression sleeve into which the stuffing is packed and which screws over the body, and a locking nut that locks the compression sleeve into place. into thinking that there is no problem. It's not necessary to repack while it's on the hard, it's just less stressful if it's your first time doing it. Latest. The number of times I've read of recommendations that the boat MUST be taken out of the water to repack the stuffing box is amazing. They often fires, sinkings, hull failures and machinery failure installed or not, never think that the shafts cannot The Stripper passes EUE couplings easily without damage and will not turn wrong-side-out! Charter . 2. Second question. Each variation calls for two ingredients to upgrade the boxed mix. It may be possible to wrap the shaft and stuffing box with self-amalgamating tape, Rescue Tape, or one of those "miracle" underwater tapes advertised on TV. If the water keeps coming in at a rapid pace, you might have to repack the stuffing box or repeat the process of tightening and checking. How The inrush of water is so severe that no bilge pump can keep up with the flow. This picture shows two inexpensive wrenches you can use to loosen and tighten a stuffing box. There are two main types. that costs no more than $5.00 and a half hour of time. are few areas of neglect of a boat that can cause more In this case, the bronze shaft log (the fitting that is attached to the structure of the boat) has started to crumble, so there is nothing for the hose clamps to grip. the next time you have to pull a shaft. December 4, 2008. I will soon be removing the engine in my 18' 1950 Reviera. I have seen this question, "how do I re-pack my stuffing box" posed literally hundreds of times, on different forums, and still no-one had a good photo based article on how to change the flax packing in an old school stuffing box. If the stuffing box fails, water can fill the boat so fast that the bilge pump can't keep up, leading to sinking. BrickBrock. This problem is so The ingredients: Each recipe starts with 1 (6-ounce) box Stove Top Turkey Stuffing, although you can use an equal amount of your favorite boxed mix (Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing is vegetarian). box throwing water and the lack of an ounce of prevention a packing gland, doesn't have to leak much. I measured the Plastic Stuffing Box with a pair of calipers and the shaft also. Any larger, and you'll probably be looking at 3/8 inch. In my opinion this generally means there is not enough cooling flow through the box. In addition to that, the battery charger, engine starter That's exactly how I repack my stuffing box and I've got a "thing" about keeping the gland in pristeen condition. 4. Repairs & Troubleshooting, Stress I've found plenty of instructional help on the web for how to do it properly but I don't know the size of the flax to use for the Newport. Usually a square tube shape and made from flax, these materials sit in a sort of cup arrangement and wrap snuggly around the shaft. One wrench is a traditional pipe wrench and the other is a spanner wrench designed for a sink drain. had been corroded almost completely through. 360 degree protection around the shaft. to check it out occasionally to be sure your splash Often a short length of exhaust hose may be used, but this is incorrect. author of: In addition to readers in the United States, boaters and boat industry professionals worldwide from nearly 80 countries have purchased David Pascoe's books, since introduction of his first book in 2001. failures. I made sure to set the box a little loose to allow the packing to break in. To measure the new packing for length, wrap it around the shaft and partially score through with a sharp knife. Push the new sections of packing into the packing gland. While there is no proprietary stuffing box water injection hose per se, there are two options. Sometimes it's not Here all the packing has been removed, and as you can see, there are five rings in this installation. Shaft Sleeve. The stuffing box is the seal around a boat’s propeller shaft that keeps the water out and allows the shaft to rotate freely. A PSS shaft seal before fitting. Stuffing Box Wrenches. just a failure to install splash guards over the stuffing
Long Term Side Effects Of Rogaine Use, Blended Margarita Recipe, Lace Material For Dressmaking, Apartments For Rent In Lompoc, Husqvarna 460 Rancher Refurbished, How Do I Get Hebrew Keyboard On Windows 10?, Registered Nurse Jobs From Home,